June 4, 2020
June 5, 2020
June 9, 2020
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting (7pm, SHS)
July 6, 2020
July 7, 2020
July 8, 2020
July 9, 2020
July 10, 2020
July 13, 2020
July 14, 2020
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting (7pm, SHS)
July 15, 2020
July 16, 2020
2020 - 2021 PRELIMINARY FINAL BUDGET
CONTINUITY OF EDUCATION PLAN
The purpose of our Continuity of Education Plan is to continue providing education for our students in an environment of prolonged closures, like our current situation with the Coronavirus Pandemic, based upon feasibility and availablity of resources.
Please see the letters below from Mr. Smith, Superintendent of Schools, regarding the coronavirus.
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 05.21.2020
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 05.03.2020
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 04.17.2020
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 04.01.2020
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 03.25.2020
Superintendent Letter - Parent Update - 03.21.2020
Food Distribution Update - 03.17.2020
Superintendent Letter - Coronavirus - 03.12.2020
Superintendent Letter - Coronavirus - 03.11.2020
Superintendent Letter - Coronavirus - 03.06.2020
Superintendent Letter - Coronavirus - 02.28.2020
From Our School Nurses
Additionally, the links below are coronavirus resources as shared by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Coronavirus Information for K-12 Schools - PA DOH
Interim Guidance for Preventing the Spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Homes and Residential Communities - CDC
Coronavirus Fact Sheet - PA DOH (updated 03.06.2020)
More information on COVID-19 and ways to stop the spread are below.
Additional Resources and News
Susquenita High School Musical
The Spring Musical Beauty and the Beast has been postponed. A final decision to reschedule has not been made. Tickets that have been purchased online will be refunded directly back to your account. Depending on processing time, this could take one (1) to ten (10) business days.
SUSQUENITA HIGH SCHOOL NAMED APPLE DISTINGUISHED SCHOOL
Susquenita School District is pleased to announce that Susquenita High School has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished School for 2019–2022 for its implementation of the 1:1 iPad Initiative, which provides iPad to every student attending Susquenita High School. Through intensive staff development, teachers are utilizing iPad to assist in providing students with transformative learning experiences, which will help them as they prepare to transition to the next phase of their lives - wherever that may lead.
Apple Distinguished Schools are centers of innovation, leadership, and educational excellence that use technology to inspire creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking. They showcase innovative uses of technology in learning, teaching, and the school environment and have documented results of academic accomplishment.
FLEXIBLE INSTRUCTIONAL DAYS
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has approved the use of “Flexible Instructional Days” (FIDs), which provide continuity of instruction through flexible means, on days when the school is traditionally closed due to inclement weather or emergency - think “Cyber Snow Days”.
Authorization: Act 64 of 2019: Section 1506 – Flexible Instructional Days
Act 64 of 2019 amended the Public-School Code to allow public school entities to develop a Flexible Instructional Day (FID) program as an alternative approach to delivering instruction when circumstances prevent the delivery of instruction in its customary manner or location. The FID program may be online, offline, or a combination of the two. Act 64 defines a school entity as a school district, intermediate unit, area vocational-technical school, or charter school or regional charter school, as defined under section 1703-A.
The District is not required to “makeup” FIDs. They are deemed a school day by the state and count toward the total number of instructional days required by the Public-School Code.
Flexible Instructional Days are permissible under the following circumstances - not exceed 5 total days during any school year:
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Disease epidemic
- Law enforcement emergency
- Inoperability of school busses or equipment necessary to the District's operation.
- Damage to a school building
- Other temporary circumstances rendering any portion of a school building unfit or unsafe for use.
NOTE: It remains our goal to have students in school as often as circumstances permit.
FID Introduction Letter from Mr. Kent Smith, Superintendent
PA CHANGES COMPULSORY SCHOOL AGE
Act 16 of 2019, which was signed in June, made two significant changes in the Public School Code regarding attendance. The following changes will take effect on August 2020.
1) Compulsory School Age: all children from the age of six (6) through the age of eighteen (18) must comply with compulsory school attendance requirements. To meet these requirements, parents must ensure that their child between the ages of 6 and 18 is attending or participating in one of the following: a public elementary, middle, or high school; a public charter or cyber-charter school; a private licensed academic or private religious school; home tutoring by a certified teacher; or an approved program of home schooling. Children may be excused from compulsory attendance for documented medical or other compelling reasons as outlined in District attendance policy and procedures.
2) Full Academic Year Requirement: a student who is absent for 20 percent or more of his or her days of enrollment will not be considered to have met the “full academic year” requirement for purposes of school accountability testing (PSSA and Keystones). This new rule is effective for the Spring 2021 administration of the PSSAs and for any 2020-2021 administration of the Literature, Algebra, and Biology Keystones.
COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR CHILDREN IN PA
CHIP covers uninsured kids up to age 19 in Pennsylvania. It doesn’t matter why your kids don’t have health coverage right now; CHIP may be able to help. Most kids receive CHIP for free. Others can get the same benefits at a low cost.
CHIP is brought to you by leading health insurance companies who offer quality, comprehensive coverage.
For more information visit the website: https://www.chipcoverspakids.com.